Welcome

Im Aimee Simmons im a student at weymouth college and I am studying Interactive Media. And this is what my blog is going to be about.

Wednesday 10 November 2010

General packet radio service (GPRS)

GPRS allows information to be sent and received across a mobile telephone network. maximum speeds of up to 171.2 kilobits per second (kbps) are achievable with GPRS using all eight time slots at the same time. This is about three times as fast as the data transmission speeds possible over today's fixed telecommunications networks and ten times as fast as current Circuit Switched Data services on GSM networks. By allowing information to be transmitted more quickly, immediately and efficiently across the mobile network, GPRS may well be a relatively less costly mobile data service compared to SMS and Circuit Switched Data.

GPRS will fully enable the Internet applications you are used to on your desktop from web browsing to chat over the mobile network. Other new applications for GPRS, also file transfer and home automation - the ability to remotely access and control in-house appliances and machines.



From researching this I have found out that there are so many different ways of accessing the Internet on mobile phones. I found it a bit hard to understand as most of the websites I went on were very technical and I had to read pages a few times before I understood it enough to re-write it in my own words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment